Wednesday 23 October 2013

Day 31 - DIY paper lampshade

Prompted by the need for a light bulb change I decided the lampshade needed upgrading. I made this from four sheets of music score, 16 strips of yellow card, pva glue, a needle and embroidery thread. I began by strengthening the edges of my music sheet and then added a cross of card for extra structure and a little detail. I marked holes along the two longer sides of each sheet and pierced them with an awl.

Sew the sheets together using blanket stitch or a simple lacing stitch like mine. Add a thread two each of the top corners and draw together, tie around light fitting and your done. I drew the lower threads together and attached a silk decoration I've had bumbling around for years. It has a very warm glow, took about an hour and is far better than the ikea globe we have throughout the rest of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment