Monday 23 December 2013

Day 80 - Hot spiced Apple Brandy

I've always liked the idea of mulled wine and cider more than the actual drink itself, I've even tried to make it myself, but I find the flavours a  bit acrid. So this year I decided to try something different, and well, this will be my Christmas drink of choice from now on. It was so yummy I failed to take a picture after it was ready.
This is a very simple recipe, you will need, Apple Juice, Brandy, a dash of Golden Syrup, an orange, star anise, cloves, fresh nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.
Pour your apple juice into a pan, I made enough for three good sized mugs. Add in your spices, I wet for 1 Star Anise, crushed, a grating of fresh nutmeg, about an inch of cinnamon stick (again crushed) and two segments of orange. I think it's a good idea to play with the spices to suit your taste, once the apple juice beginning to simmer add a few shots of brandy and a very small amount of golden syrup. Bring to the boil and then STRAIN! You don't want to be drinking mouthfuls of star anise so the straining is very important, but you will probably end up with some tiny particles of nutmeg and cinnamon.
So much better than mulled wine or cider, this drink simply tastes of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment