Wednesday 25 September 2013

Day 3 - DIY shirt to skirt...The shkirt

Before
I started this Home is where the Chaos project on Pinterest a few weeks ago, collecting ideas and inspiration. I can't take any credit for this idea, but I'm pleased it was an internet inspired project that actually happened, rather than being put in one of those 'Great Ideas' folders and never looked at again. (I have many...)
After
So Day 3 began with a mans shirt, First I chopped the sleeves off, and trimmed the rest of the shirt to just above the curve of the arm hole. Then I rolled a top hem and stitched it down with enough of a loop to hold some thin elastic. Now at this point, you have a skirt, there are extra baggy bits around the hip so the next step is to straighten out the side seams. I played with the idea of a pocket but eventually (with some helpful suggestions from The Man) I decided to replace the buttons with something a bit more interesting. After much deliberation I chose some mini pewter compasses, and then added a little anchor patch to the bottom corner.

Overall I like the idea, but I'm not particularly happy with the finish. I would like to unstitch the waistband and try again, perhaps taking it in a little more at the side seams as there is a lot of excess fabric which bunches unpleasantly. I tried to stretch the fabric out at the front which helps a bit. Either way I'll be wearing it to school tomorrow. The nautical element is a little homage to my year of boats too, not my intention but definitely my aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment