Friday 15 November 2013

Day 52 - DIY handmade paper

I have always done handmade Christmas' and as I develop more skills I like to make my gifts more unique, so I've made paper to use for all my tags and labels this year. I made paper for my boat project last year, but it was thick and lumpy and mostly a grim colour. This time round I have improved and experimented with thin, coloured, scented paper!
First I tore lots of junk mail and scrap paper into tiny pieces and soaked it in water for a few minutes. Next I blended the mixture into a pulp, (this bit is much easier if you have a proper blender, not just a handheld as it likes to splatter...) I added a bit of yellow food colouring first, to take away the dull grey tone and then used purple acrylic ink to give it a sweet lavender colour, I also added a touch of glittery acrylic for a touch of sparkle. For the scent I used a pinch of ground nutmeg, cardamom and a touch of vanilla, (I would have used cinnamon too but I unbelievably don't have any!!) which has given it a subtle yuletide aroma.

Here is a general paper making tutorial as there are too many steps and I didn't have all the equipment so my way is a bit more of a winging it style.
For the texture I imprinted a pattern from lace into it using a rolling pin. It looks interesting, but I'm sure I'll regret this when it comes to writing on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment